There’s not a whole lot to say about food that is simple, inexpensive, and tasty, except just that. This casserole that my friend Cheryl Goodall made a family favorite at her house is a winner, and so easy to make it will surprise you.
- 1-1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1 (10.5 oz) cream of celery soup
- 1 (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 4 oz water
- 12 oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (11.5 oz) package taco chips
- 1 (4 oz) can mild enchilada sauce
Brown meat and drain.
Add soups and water to meat.
Cover bottom of 9×13 inch baking dish with crushed chips. I just crushed them with my hands as I got them out of the bag. Loosely crushed is fine.
Cover chips with 1/2 of meat-soup mixture. Try to spread it as much over chips as possible.
Sprinkle over the top 1/2 can of chili peppers, then a layer of 1/2 of enchilada sauce, then 1/2 of cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
If you like, throw a dollop of sour cream on the top, but this casserole is wonderful with or without any additions.
We like eating this with a side of corn and a big glass of milk! It’s not too spicy for us old folks, but kids seem to like it too. Throw this together sometime and see how you like it — this dish may just make it into your rotation of great meals!
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole (breehegler.wordpress.com)
- Enchilada Lasagna (ireport.cnn.com)
- Mexican Casserole (drangonfly2323.wordpress.com)
- Taco Casserole (davescookblog.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Enchiladas (diethood.com)