It would be nice if I could come up with a more imaginative name for this dish, but Slow Cooker Beef will have to do for this super easy alternative to pot roast. I’ve made it for many years, and often would break out a big deer roast instead of beef back in the day when hillbillies hunted for food as much as sport. Either way, it cooks up with a nice, rich gravy and can be served alone with sides, or over noodles or mashed potatoes.
I use this recipe with chuck roast, but it can be varied to be used with any kind of beef roast or venison. If you do use this method with deer roast, add about 1/4 or 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
2 lb beef chuck roast
1 envelope dry onion soap mix
1 10.5 ounce can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 sm can mushrooms, stems and pieces
1 envelope brown gravy mix
Egg noodles (optional)
1 soup can water
It doesn’t have to be famous brand-name stuff–it will still taste good.
Cut roast into bite-size pieces and place in bottom of slow cooker.
Pour in the rest of ingredients, except noodles if using. Add them one at a time, water last.
After addition of water, stir well.
Cover and cook four hours on high.
While this stuff is cooking you will get very hungry, because the smell is divine.
About 15 min to 1/2 hour before Beef is done, prepare noodles or mashed potatoes, if desired.
If you wish to make this dish more like stroganoff, stir in an 8 oz carton of sour cream (or half a 16 oz carton) right before serving. Your family will feel like it’s a special occasion!
Serve beef over noodles.
This is an easy and painless recipe, good for cold winter evenings–I do hope you will give it a try!
- Slow Cooker Back to Basics Beef Stew (cozycakescottage.com)
- Honey Mustard BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches – Slow Cooker Week (lovebugandsweetiegirl.com)
- Slow Cooker Recipe for Mediterranean Beef Stew with Rosemary and Balsamic Vinegar (kalynskitchen.com)
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew – Slow Cooker Week! (lovebugandsweetiegirl.com)
- Slow Cooker Tomatoey Beef Brisket Pot Roast (cookingwithcorinna.wordpress.com)
- Dinner Recipe: Individual Pot Roasts with Thyme-Glazed Carrots – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- 2 Meals In One – German Pot Roast and Pork Chimichangas – Slow Cooker Week! (lovebugandsweetiegirl.com)
- Shepherd’s Pie Made Easy (answers.com)